DISCLAIMER: The presence of links to outside websites does not imply endorsement, approval, or concurrence by the United Daughters of the Confederacy on any level.
The name Children of the Confederacy® and United Daughters of the Confederacy® and the CofC Insignia are registered trademarks, registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. In all references to the official names in the text of this document, the ® shall be understood.
Historical ~ Educational ~ Benevolent ~ Memorial ~ Patriotic
The United Daughters of the Confederacy is the outgrowth of many local memorial, monument, and Confederate home associations and auxiliaries to camps of United Confederate Veterans that were organized after the War Between the States. It is the oldest patriotic organization in our country because of its connection with two statewide organizations that came into existence as early as 1890 -- the Daughters of the Confederacy (DOC) in Missouri and the Ladies' Auxiliary of the Confederate Soldiers Home in Tennessee.
The National Association of the Daughters of the Confederacy was organized in Nashville, TN., on September 10, 1894, by founders Mrs. Caroline Meriwether Goodlett of Nashville and Mrs. Anna Davenport Raines of Georgia. At its second meeting in Atlanta, Ga., in 1895, the Organization changed its name to the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The United Daughters of the Confederacy was incorporated under the laws of the District of Columbia on July 18, 1919. The Tennessee Division is dedicated to historical preservation and patriotic service.